You are here

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia

St. Peter's Parish Hall

Built in 1954, St Peter’s Parish Hall features a painted mural depicting the local landscape. The work was painted by local artist Thomas Gerrior. The mural adorns the wall directly behind the stage and was painted in house paint over five plywood panels. The current painting covers the original mural, painted earlier by the same artist and covered up when the wall was replaced.

Oakley residence

This modest cottage was built in 1930 by its first occupant, Thomas Daniel Gerrior. Mr. Gerrior’s immediate family aided in the construction process and, subsequently, all 9 family members inhabited the small two bedroom home. Upon Mr. Gerrior’s passing in 1995, his brother, John Sylvester Gerrior, purchased the property on Gerrior Road.

Wright House

The central chimney house features a free-hand floral motif painting on plaster above the fireplace. Dr. Jim Sinclair, friend and neighbour of owner Suzie Wright (92 years old), presumes that the artwork was created by itinerant painter (one of the "Ridge MacDonalds") Ronald MacDonald circa 1865.

Johnson residence

George Johnson's family owns the old farmhouse. His maternal grandfather painted multiple doors, door frames, knobs and some window frames in a wood grain. The house, complete with an earth basement, is currently unoccupied because the structure is slowly collapsing. Mr. Johnson wants to remove some of these doors before the building is completely destroyed.

Parsons residence

This mid-19th century farmhouse features painted wood grain on mouldings as well as on door frames in both the upper and lower halls of the home. The house has undergone several renovations but none of the painted surfaces have been altered. The earliest known deed for the house dates to 1889.

Swansburg residence

Though the exact year of construction is unknown, the house is thought to be about 200 years old. The current owner found a variety of charcoal drawings on wall after removing nine layers of blood paint. Depicted are several gentlemen in frock coats and tall hats and a witch-like woman with a wart.

The Clockmaker's Inn

The house was built by Robert Caravan for Rufus Curry in 1894. Curry bought the land from local farmer Martin Gay Allison for $4,000. There were two small houses already on the property so Curry hired eight teams of oxen to move them to other parts of the town where they still stand today. The new Curry house was built in the Second Empire (French) style at a cost of $29,000.

Clem residence

This house was built in 1953 by Reg and Joyce Stevens for their family. They lived in the house until 1978 when they sold the house to Mr. Stevens nephew Reg and his wife Carmine, who own the house today.

Hantsport Memorial Centre

Hantsport Memorial Community Centre -Churchill House - BasementThis house was built shortly after shipbuilder Ezra Churchill sold the land to his son, John Wylie Churchill, in 1860. The house was a wedding present for his son. The younger Churchill lived there with his wife Mary and two daughters Violet and Laura until he died.

Holy Ghost Ukrainian

The original Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic Church was built in 1911 and opened a year later. The building was devastated by fire in 1932 and all was lost save a few charred beams and the pews, which were later painted in faux wood grain.


Subscribe to RSS - Nova Scotia