You are here

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia

Falmouth Baptist Church

Catalogue info: The first Falmouth Baptist Church was constituted in 1830, when a group of members from the Windsor Baptist Church organized a church in Falmouth. Construction was completed in 1831. In 1862 the Falmouth Baptist Church congregation discussed building a larger church to accommodate its expansion.

South Williamston Home

Catalogue info: In 1860 John Schaffner (1796-1874) bought a large property in South Williamston and shortly thereafter built a large double house: one side for him and his wife, the other for his son William Judson Schaffner and his family. The central front door opens onto a hall from which each family had its own section of the house.

Tutty Residence

Catalogue info: This house was built in 1796 by Elisha Calkin and has changed hands only twice (as of 1986). The home features stencilled and free-hand walls (oil on plaster c.1860). Then stencilling and striping simulates raised panelling, a successful attempt at 'trompe l’oeil' painting. Unfortunately, the painted surfaces have been over-papered.

MacPherson Residence

Catalogue info: This Cape Cod style house was built by Ewan MacKinnon about 1825. The house featured two marbleized mantle pieces (oil on plaster c. 1850) with two corresponding free-hand painted over mantles (oil on wood c.1850). One of the over mantles featured a 'tree of life' motif. The over mantle paintings and wooden mantle piece were removed from the house in 1984.

Beaton Residence

Catalogue info: Mabou Mines was settled by Catholic Scots who came to Cape Breton via Prince Edward Island in the early 1800s. The land on which this house is built was granted to Finlay Beaton who arrived in Mabou Mines in 1809. Although it is uncertain when the house was built, the original chimney opening to two fireplaces indicates a building date prior to 1840.

Smith-Nickerson Residence

Catalogue info: It has be speculated that this house was built in 1825 for or by Samuel Smith Jr., a local fisherman and merchant. In 1853 Smith's daughter Deborah Ann married Captain William Nickerson and took up residence in the house.

McGoldrick Residence

McGoldrick Residence (1850 House): This neo Gothic merchant home (formerly known as 1850 House) was built in the 1850s in a prominent lot in the shipbuilding town of Canning, NS.

Compass Rose Restaurant

This house was built in 1825 for a sea captain. In 1851 it was purchased by W.N. Zwicker and remained in the family until 1974. It then operated as an antique shop and a private home until 1983 when it was sold and became the Compass Rose Restaurant. Marbleized Arch, first floor, hallway, 1825, artist unknown, oil on wood.

St. John's Parish Hall

The original establishment, a five-bay, hipped roof structure with a central main door facing St. John's Church square, was built c. 1775 as the first Lunenburg Courthouse. By 1890, the Court House had become run down and the Chief Justice of the time declared he would not hold court unless the building was repaired.

Hardy Residence

Very little is known of this late 19th century Gabarus, Cape Breton home. The parlour features a decoratively painted ceiling. The artist is unknown although the similarities between the painted surfaces in this home and that of the Lomas-Anderson residence in Sherbrooke, NS may suggest that the artist was one of Ozia Leduc's assistants, Raoul Ducharme, Dollard Church, L.P. Martin or J.P.


Subscribe to RSS - Nova Scotia