You are here

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia

Margaree Inn

Margaree River View Inn (formerly Margaree Lodge): The Riverview Inn property features a small Gothic house to the far right of the land built by Sam Campbell, a former prominent landowner in the Margarees. Mr. Campbell moved from Mabou to Margaree in 1836 but it’s unlikely the house was built before 1850.

Hantsport Centre

Hantsport Memorial Community Centre

Benson Residence

Catalogue info: The house, known as the Churhill Mansion, was built in the 1890s for Captain Aaron Churchill. Free-hand and stencilled walls and ceilings(oil on plaster), attributed to James Murphy (b.1870) adorn the front porch of the home. James Murphy is known to have done decorative interior painting in the Yarmouth area.

McNutt Residence

Catalogue info: The house was built in 1890 for Captain Patrick Mockler (1838-1930). Inside, a stencilled and free-hand wall and ceiling frieze (oil on plaster c.1890) can be found in the first floor hallway. The decoration was revealed when wallpaper was stripped. The frieze, below the chair-rail, is a pattern reminiscent of a textile design.

St. Andrew's Anglican Church

Catalogue info: St. Andrew's Church was built by contrator Joseph Taylor and decorated by F. W. Dakin, both from nearby Windsor, NS. The building was completed on November 26th, 1890. The church hosts stencilled organ pipes (oil on lead c.1890) by an unknown artist. The original three-manual instrument had these stencilled lead pipes; the maker is unknown.

G. Mounce Residence

Catalogue info: The house was built in 1865 for Captain George Mounce. The fine structure with pillared portico stands in a terraced garden and is testimony to more prosperous days in Avondale (Newport Landing) when ships were built and gypsum mined and sent to Boston and Philadelphia. Captain Mounce had two sons, Tom and Ralp.

Morrison Residence

Catalogue info: This home features woodgrained doors(oil on wood) dating back to 1885. The three doors with arched panels are grained in dark brown and a dark yellow. The mantel, now over-painted, was painted a mustard yellow and marbleized. The artist is unknown.

Moffat House

Catalogue info: The house was built in 1881 for a Mr. Moffatt who was in the moving business. He remained a bachelor, and upon his death in 1922 the house was sold, remaining empty until 1923 when purchased by a Mr. Barnes. Barnes was a blind piano tuner wishing to relocate in amherst from Newfoundland. On Mr.

Musquodoboit Centre

The Musquodoboit Bicentennial Theatre and Cultural Centre, a 3 level wooden building, was constructed in 1928 by the people of Middle Musquodoboit as meeting hall for the 'Old Fellows Lodge'.

St. James United Church

Catalogue info: On December 11th, 1882 the Presbyterian church in Great Village burned down. A week later the congregation decided to rebuild. The new church had free-hand painted walls along its nave and chancel (oil on plaster c.1883) Plastered cement walls are painted to imitate stone blocks and are the only example of painted stone jointing found to date.


Subscribe to RSS - Nova Scotia