You are here


Enman Residence

This early 19th century home features the decorative artwork of an unknown itinerant painter. The family dining room is adorned with painted panels that reference marble and granite in their composition. The panels, located above the chair rail, are framed with a faux granite borders created by method of paint stippling.

Goat Lake Farm

The Goat Lake Farm house was built in 1909 and the current owners Mickie and Martin Rudy Haase moved to the property in 1969 from Maine, US. Mr. Haase, an untrained artist, painted a mural (acrylic on plaster) in his son Leif’s bedroom in 1969. The mural, which measures 10’ 5” x 6’, depicts the view from their home as it would have appeared in the late 1960s.

Lynn residence

This mid 19th century Cape-style summer house has two parlours which feature painted surfaces. Both parlours host painted wood grained and a marbleized fireplaces. The East parlour is wood grained in to resemble a light coloured wood while the West parlour features a darker wood grain.

Floraburn Farms

This 19th-century “L” shaped farmhouse was built by Archie McFee for Wentworth and Sarah Taylor. In 1946, Donald MacMillan Sr. bought the house from Alexander Stirling MacMillan, Nova Scotia premier from 1940 to 1945, for $2,300. His son Donald and his wife Marlene bought the property in 1972. The parlour still houses one of the former premier’s mahogany couches.

Oakley residence

This modest cottage was built in 1930 by its first occupant, Thomas Daniel Gerrior. Mr. Gerrior’s immediate family aided in the construction process and, subsequently, all 9 family members inhabited the small two bedroom home. Upon Mr. Gerrior’s passing in 1995, his brother, John Sylvester Gerrior, purchased the property on Gerrior Road.

Wright House

The central chimney house features a free-hand floral motif painting on plaster above the fireplace. Dr. Jim Sinclair, friend and neighbour of owner Suzie Wright (92 years old), presumes that the artwork was created by itinerant painter (one of the "Ridge MacDonalds") Ronald MacDonald circa 1865.

Johnson residence

George Johnson's family owns the old farmhouse. His maternal grandfather painted multiple doors, door frames, knobs and some window frames in a wood grain. The house, complete with an earth basement, is currently unoccupied because the structure is slowly collapsing. Mr. Johnson wants to remove some of these doors before the building is completely destroyed.

Parsons residence

This mid-19th century farmhouse features painted wood grain on mouldings as well as on door frames in both the upper and lower halls of the home. The house has undergone several renovations but none of the painted surfaces have been altered. The earliest known deed for the house dates to 1889.

Swansburg residence

Though the exact year of construction is unknown, the house is thought to be about 200 years old. The current owner found a variety of charcoal drawings on wall after removing nine layers of blood paint. Depicted are several gentlemen in frock coats and tall hats and a witch-like woman with a wart.

Clem residence

This house was built in 1953 by Reg and Joyce Stevens for their family. They lived in the house until 1978 when they sold the house to Mr. Stevens nephew Reg and his wife Carmine, who own the house today.


Subscribe to RSS - No