You are here


Holy Ghost Ukrainian

The original Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic Church was built in 1911 and opened a year later. The building was devastated by fire in 1932 and all was lost save a few charred beams and the pews, which were later painted in faux wood grain.

Notre Dame de L'Asomption

Gillis house

Catalogue info: Murals (two) and stencilled wall in the first floor right back room, Walter William Hess (b. 1910) 1952. Oil on wood. When the murals were painted, the house was owned by Angus William Gillis. He died in 1977 and the house was sold to the present owners. The house has since been unoccupied and the owners donated two murals to the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia.

St. Alphonse de Clare

St. Alphonse de Clare Roman Catholic Church

Maude Lewis residence

Catalogue info: The house is now on permanent loan to the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia following acquisition by the Province of Nova Scotia for the Heritage collection. Free-hand door, inside front door circa 1938 by Maud(e) Lewis. Oil on wood. Conservation Treatment: Art Gallery of Nova Scotia Maud(e) Dowley was born in Ohio, Yarmouth County, in 1903 where her father was a harness maker.

MacNamara residence

Catalogue info: Following the removal of the murals in the 1970s by the local historical society, the house burned to the ground. Mural in the kitchen circa 1930, oil on wood. This is one of a set of seven murals that Peter Cass painted on the kitchen walls for his friends the MacNamaras. Cass was an itinerant artist about whom little is known.

Pictou Opera House

Catalogue info: In 1915 the Fairyland Theatre was remodelled and renamed the Pictou Opera House.

Mosely Residence

Catalogue info: Free-hand wall frieze left front room on the first floor painted by John Oswald Johnson (circa 1880-1964), 1912-13. Oil on plaster. John Oswald Johnson was born in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne circa 1880. He attended a school for commerical art and design, winning a national medal for success in art.

McIntosh Residence

Catalogue info: The house was built in 1903 for Captain Alexander Isaac Young (1857-1925) and his wife Henrietta Letitia. The house was owned by the Young family until 1985. Stencilled ceiling and free-hand mock fireboard in the left front room of the first floor, artist unknown, 1903. Oil on plaster.

Hatfield Residence

This home features wood grained doors (oil on wood) in the first floor hallway which were painted by Melbourne Surette (1870-1960) circa 1900. The three hallway doors are decorated in dark yellow (panels) and dark maroon (frame and door frame). The free-hand ceiling (oil on tin) in the left back room on the first floor was also painted by Surette circa 1900.


Subscribe to RSS - No