You are here


Falmouth Baptist Church

Catalogue info: The first Falmouth Baptist Church was constituted in 1830, when a group of members from the Windsor Baptist Church organized a church in Falmouth. Construction was completed in 1831. In 1862 the Falmouth Baptist Church congregation discussed building a larger church to accommodate its expansion.

St. John's Parish Hall

The original establishment, a five-bay, hipped roof structure with a central main door facing St. John's Church square, was built c. 1775 as the first Lunenburg Courthouse. By 1890, the Court House had become run down and the Chief Justice of the time declared he would not hold court unless the building was repaired.

Blomidon Lodge/Inn

Built in 1880 for Rufus Burgess Senior, a shipbuilder. The stairs and banister are of made of Mahogany from Honduras. There is a painting of a shipwreck under the mouth of the stairs. Rufus Junior lost the property in a poker game to a Mr. Harris. The lodge is now an Inn.

St. John's Anglican Church

The original church on this site was consecrated in July 1850 (construction 1847-1850). It was funded in part by honourable Nova Scotians H.H. Cogswell and J. Inglis Haliburton, Esquire.

St. John's Anglican Church

St. John's Anglican Church is the second oldest Anglican Church in Canada. This 'Carpenter Gothic' church, originally a Georgian style building, was built in 1754 when the Lords of Trade and Plantations (British colonial government administrators) granted 476 Pounds for its construction. The timbers arrived from Boston on an anon of war. The builder was Conrad Lord, son of U.E Loyalist.

Carter Residence

Carter Residence and Community Centre: This historic 1820 country house has remained in the Carter family for over 150 years.

East Hants Museum

East Hants Historical Society Museum (forner Lower Selma-Noel Shore United Church)

The Classical Revival church was built in 1865 by William Wiswell of Halifax with the aid of James Corston of Halifax and Gilmore McLellan of Noel Shore. It opened its doors on September 24th of that same year and was originally named the Lower Selma Presbyterian Church.

The Quaker House

The original owner of the home was William Ray, a cooper (barrel maker) who came to Dartmouth as part of a community of Quakers who established a whale fishing industry. The Quaker House has since been restored and furnished to reflect its 1785 construction date. It well represents the Nantucket Island domestic architecture from the time of its original construction.

St. Ninian's Cathedral

On June 29th, 1867 the corner stone of the church was laid and the foundation blessed by Very Rev. Dr. John Cameron. Sylvester O'Donoghue, a native Irishmen, built the Cathedral. Originally, the architect Owen Hamill was retained to design and oversee the construction of the Church but he died prematurely in 1868. As such, St. Ninian's was completed by architect A. Levesque of Montreal.

St. Patrick's Church

Catalogue info: Construction for St. Patrick's Church was begun in 1883 and the official opening took place in 1885. The stencilling, marbleizing and sponging was not applied until 1908 by the firm Rambusch Decorating Company of New York.


Subscribe to RSS - Yes