You are here


St. Mary's Church

St. Mary's Church (Eglise Ste. Marie)

Settlers Museum

Mahone Bay Settlers Museum

Bethany B&B

This mansion was first built as a church by the Lutherans and Presbyterians of Middle LaHave on the edge of the LaHave River. Because the structure was being undermined by the tides, it was hoisted onto skids and moved across the river. Shortly afterward, it was bought by the Evangelical Lutheran Synod which decided the church would become an orphanage.

Church of Chebogue

The First Congregational Church of Chebogue was established in 1766. This building is the third incarnation of the church and the second on this location. The first building was built a short distance away in 1776 and was called the Chebogue Meeting House. The second church was built on this site in 1820.

Sacred Heart Church

Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church was built atop a hill overlooking Bras D’Or Lake in 1891. It opened its doors to local Christians on November 8 of the same year. Two local painters, both unknown, painted the interior walls and ceiling sometime in the 1940s. The arched ceiling is adorned with oval medallions depicting various church symbols such as the chalice and the cross.

St. Peter's Parish Hall

Built in 1954, St Peter’s Parish Hall features a painted mural depicting the local landscape. The work was painted by local artist Thomas Gerrior. The mural adorns the wall directly behind the stage and was painted in house paint over five plywood panels. The current painting covers the original mural, painted earlier by the same artist and covered up when the wall was replaced.

The Clockmaker's Inn

The house was built by Robert Caravan for Rufus Curry in 1894. Curry bought the land from local farmer Martin Gay Allison for $4,000. There were two small houses already on the property so Curry hired eight teams of oxen to move them to other parts of the town where they still stand today. The new Curry house was built in the Second Empire (French) style at a cost of $29,000.

Hantsport Memorial Centre

Hantsport Memorial Community Centre -Churchill House - BasementThis house was built shortly after shipbuilder Ezra Churchill sold the land to his son, John Wylie Churchill, in 1860. The house was a wedding present for his son. The younger Churchill lived there with his wife Mary and two daughters Violet and Laura until he died.

Holy Trinity Lutheran Church

Catalogue info: Holy Trinity Church was built around 1900 to replace and older building. The frame structure is approximately 9.0x15.0m. Free-hand ceiling, chancel, circa 1940 by Mr. Gottschall and son. Oil on wood. Stencilled and marbleized walls, nave and chancel, circa 1940. Oil on plaster.

Masonic Lodge

Catalogue info: The building dates to 1874. Before it was acquired by the Charity Lodge in 1919 it was a factory producing oil clothes used by loca fishermen. The lodge added the entry porch. Murals (four) all walls, 1920-31 Canon Edward Alexander Harris (d. 1931), watercolour on plaster. The decorations were begun in 1920.


Subscribe to RSS - Yes