You are here

Halifax County

Halifax County

Carrigan Residence

This 19th century 5 bedroom home features 4 original mantels which host the decorative artwork of an unknown itinerant painter. The current owner, Owen Carrigan, moved in the house in 1979. He purchased the home from a firm that had divided the home in order to house multiple students that attended the nearby university. Much work was needed to restore the house to its original state.

Niven Residence

This home was built in 1919 by a French architect Levesque. Levesque may have been inspired by the American architect Frank Lloyd Wright as the structure of the home resembles Wright's "prairie houses" which characteristically feature extended low buildings with shallow, sloping roofs, clean sky lines, suppressed chimneys, and large overhangs.

Musquodoboit Centre

The Musquodoboit Bicentennial Theatre and Cultural Centre, a 3 level wooden building, was constructed in 1928 by the people of Middle Musquodoboit as meeting hall for the 'Old Fellows Lodge'.

St. John's Anglican Church

The original church on this site was consecrated in July 1850 (construction 1847-1850). It was funded in part by honourable Nova Scotians H.H. Cogswell and J. Inglis Haliburton, Esquire.

Bedard Residence

In 1863 Captain Francis Glawson purchased 25 acres of land on the Port Dufferin Mines Road. The house was more then likely constructed shortly after after this acquisition.

The Quaker House

The original owner of the home was William Ray, a cooper (barrel maker) who came to Dartmouth as part of a community of Quakers who established a whale fishing industry. The Quaker House has since been restored and furnished to reflect its 1785 construction date. It well represents the Nantucket Island domestic architecture from the time of its original construction.

Quinn House

This property was sold in 1929 to George K. Matter, father of the previous owner Charlotte Matter. Mrs. Matter's father bought the house from Senator Owen Quinn, son of Felix P. Quinn, a native Irishman and manufacturer of Ginger Beer in Halifax.

St. Patrick's Church

Catalogue info: Construction for St. Patrick's Church was begun in 1883 and the official opening took place in 1885. The stencilling, marbleizing and sponging was not applied until 1908 by the firm Rambusch Decorating Company of New York.

Subscribe to RSS - Halifax County