You are here


Benson Residence

Catalogue info: The house, known as the Churhill Mansion, was built in the 1890s for Captain Aaron Churchill. Free-hand and stencilled walls and ceilings(oil on plaster), attributed to James Murphy (b.1870) adorn the front porch of the home. James Murphy is known to have done decorative interior painting in the Yarmouth area.

McNutt Residence

Catalogue info: The house was built in 1890 for Captain Patrick Mockler (1838-1930). Inside, a stencilled and free-hand wall and ceiling frieze (oil on plaster c.1890) can be found in the first floor hallway. The decoration was revealed when wallpaper was stripped. The frieze, below the chair-rail, is a pattern reminiscent of a textile design.

St. Andrew's Anglican Church

Catalogue info: St. Andrew's Church was built by contrator Joseph Taylor and decorated by F. W. Dakin, both from nearby Windsor, NS. The building was completed on November 26th, 1890. The church hosts stencilled organ pipes (oil on lead c.1890) by an unknown artist. The original three-manual instrument had these stencilled lead pipes; the maker is unknown.

G. Mounce Residence

Catalogue info: The house was built in 1865 for Captain George Mounce. The fine structure with pillared portico stands in a terraced garden and is testimony to more prosperous days in Avondale (Newport Landing) when ships were built and gypsum mined and sent to Boston and Philadelphia. Captain Mounce had two sons, Tom and Ralp.

Morrison Residence

Catalogue info: This home features woodgrained doors(oil on wood) dating back to 1885. The three doors with arched panels are grained in dark brown and a dark yellow. The mantel, now over-painted, was painted a mustard yellow and marbleized. The artist is unknown.

Moffat House

Catalogue info: The house was built in 1881 for a Mr. Moffatt who was in the moving business. He remained a bachelor, and upon his death in 1922 the house was sold, remaining empty until 1923 when purchased by a Mr. Barnes. Barnes was a blind piano tuner wishing to relocate in amherst from Newfoundland. On Mr.

St. James United Church

Catalogue info: On December 11th, 1882 the Presbyterian church in Great Village burned down. A week later the congregation decided to rebuild. The new church had free-hand painted walls along its nave and chancel (oil on plaster c.1883) Plastered cement walls are painted to imitate stone blocks and are the only example of painted stone jointing found to date.

South Williamston Home

Catalogue info: In 1860 John Schaffner (1796-1874) bought a large property in South Williamston and shortly thereafter built a large double house: one side for him and his wife, the other for his son William Judson Schaffner and his family. The central front door opens onto a hall from which each family had its own section of the house.

Tutty Residence

Catalogue info: This house was built in 1796 by Elisha Calkin and has changed hands only twice (as of 1986). The home features stencilled and free-hand walls (oil on plaster c.1860). Then stencilling and striping simulates raised panelling, a successful attempt at 'trompe l’oeil' painting. Unfortunately, the painted surfaces have been over-papered.

MacPherson Residence

Catalogue info: This Cape Cod style house was built by Ewan MacKinnon about 1825. The house featured two marbleized mantle pieces (oil on plaster c. 1850) with two corresponding free-hand painted over mantles (oil on wood c.1850). One of the over mantles featured a 'tree of life' motif. The over mantle paintings and wooden mantle piece were removed from the house in 1984.


Subscribe to RSS - Book