You are here



Avonfield Farm

The Mounce home was built by Robert H. Caravan, a contractor from Windsor, NS in 1909/10.

The late Victorian mansion was built for newlyweds Thomas A. Mounce and Annie Mosher, married in 1909. The pair were both from notable families that had grown and prospered in the local shipbuilding industry in Hants County.

Freeman House

Freeman House (Sinclair Residence): This gothic revival home, complete with Mersey River pointed-arch windows and a steep gable, was constructed circa 1850.

Thomas-Lowe Residence

The home was built in 1905 by Elam Thomas, the great grandfather of the current owner Mrs. Barbara Lowe.

The house was a wedding gift for Elam son, Orville Thomas, and his new bride Isabelle. Upon Orville Thomas's death, Isabelle passed ownership of the home to Eva and Ugene Thomas, aunt and uncle of Mrs. Lowe.

Wendt Residence

The living room has original wallpaper, ceiling decorum and painted mouldings. The doors are grained. All furnishings were imported from Europe. The valances were made of brass, then gilded. The bathroom and the servants all contain original tin baths. The walls are marbleized.

Pottie Home

Home has seven original wood grain painted doors: front door, two living room doors and four bedroom doors. The owner, Mrs. Jan Pottie, believes they were all painted in the early 1900's and certainly before 1920.

Ditchoff Home

The property is divided between the "old section" or original section which was built somewhere between 1830-1860 by the Nauglers.

The "new section" or addition was built on by the Nauglers sons. This section was constructed in the Queen Anne style circa 1860-1890.

Young Residence

The house was built circa 1838 for Able Sands, a British officer, who later married the daughter of General Timothy Ruggles. The Youngs were shipbuilders. The Crown Jewel was built in 1868 for the troop fleet. The wall paintings in the home were done by Mr. Colin Young, circa 1880. He had studied at Acadia. The murals are all located in what was then Colin's bedroom.

Babineau Residence

The house was built for Mark Curry who had a furniture business with his brother-in-law Fredrick Shand.

In 1936 it was purchased by Walter Regan, father of the Honourable Gerald Regan. It was sold to the present owner, Mrs. Babineau, in 1960.

Bedard Residence

In 1863 Captain Francis Glawson purchased 25 acres of land on the Port Dufferin Mines Road. The house was more then likely constructed shortly after after this acquisition.

The Porter Residence

The oak house was built c. 1920. The entire house has decoratively painted walls. This work was done c. 1935 by a German artist named Goestschel (sic) who claimed to have been to art school with Hitler.


Subscribe to RSS - None