You are here

Private Residence

Private Residence

McNutt Residence

Catalogue info: The house was built in 1890 for Captain Patrick Mockler (1838-1930). Inside, a stencilled and free-hand wall and ceiling frieze (oil on plaster c.1890) can be found in the first floor hallway. The decoration was revealed when wallpaper was stripped. The frieze, below the chair-rail, is a pattern reminiscent of a textile design.

G. Mounce Residence

Catalogue info: The house was built in 1865 for Captain George Mounce. The fine structure with pillared portico stands in a terraced garden and is testimony to more prosperous days in Avondale (Newport Landing) when ships were built and gypsum mined and sent to Boston and Philadelphia. Captain Mounce had two sons, Tom and Ralp.

Morrison Residence

Catalogue info: This home features woodgrained doors(oil on wood) dating back to 1885. The three doors with arched panels are grained in dark brown and a dark yellow. The mantel, now over-painted, was painted a mustard yellow and marbleized. The artist is unknown.

Moffat House

Catalogue info: The house was built in 1881 for a Mr. Moffatt who was in the moving business. He remained a bachelor, and upon his death in 1922 the house was sold, remaining empty until 1923 when purchased by a Mr. Barnes. Barnes was a blind piano tuner wishing to relocate in amherst from Newfoundland. On Mr.

South Williamston Home

Catalogue info: In 1860 John Schaffner (1796-1874) bought a large property in South Williamston and shortly thereafter built a large double house: one side for him and his wife, the other for his son William Judson Schaffner and his family. The central front door opens onto a hall from which each family had its own section of the house.

Tutty Residence

Catalogue info: This house was built in 1796 by Elisha Calkin and has changed hands only twice (as of 1986). The home features stencilled and free-hand walls (oil on plaster c.1860). Then stencilling and striping simulates raised panelling, a successful attempt at 'trompe l’oeil' painting. Unfortunately, the painted surfaces have been over-papered.

MacPherson Residence

Catalogue info: This Cape Cod style house was built by Ewan MacKinnon about 1825. The house featured two marbleized mantle pieces (oil on plaster c. 1850) with two corresponding free-hand painted over mantles (oil on wood c.1850). One of the over mantles featured a 'tree of life' motif. The over mantle paintings and wooden mantle piece were removed from the house in 1984.

Beaton Residence

Catalogue info: Mabou Mines was settled by Catholic Scots who came to Cape Breton via Prince Edward Island in the early 1800s. The land on which this house is built was granted to Finlay Beaton who arrived in Mabou Mines in 1809. Although it is uncertain when the house was built, the original chimney opening to two fireplaces indicates a building date prior to 1840.

Smith-Nickerson Residence

Catalogue info: It has be speculated that this house was built in 1825 for or by Samuel Smith Jr., a local fisherman and merchant. In 1853 Smith's daughter Deborah Ann married Captain William Nickerson and took up residence in the house.

McGoldrick Residence

McGoldrick Residence (1850 House): This neo Gothic merchant home (formerly known as 1850 House) was built in the 1850s in a prominent lot in the shipbuilding town of Canning, NS.


Subscribe to RSS - Private Residence