You are here

Lunenburg County

Lunenburg County

Settlers Museum

Mahone Bay Settlers Museum

Goat Lake Farm

The Goat Lake Farm house was built in 1909 and the current owners Mickie and Martin Rudy Haase moved to the property in 1969 from Maine, US. Mr. Haase, an untrained artist, painted a mural (acrylic on plaster) in his son Leif’s bedroom in 1969. The mural, which measures 10’ 5” x 6’, depicts the view from their home as it would have appeared in the late 1960s.

Bethany B&B

This mansion was first built as a church by the Lutherans and Presbyterians of Middle LaHave on the edge of the LaHave River. Because the structure was being undermined by the tides, it was hoisted onto skids and moved across the river. Shortly afterward, it was bought by the Evangelical Lutheran Synod which decided the church would become an orphanage.

Lynn residence

This mid 19th century Cape-style summer house has two parlours which feature painted surfaces. Both parlours host painted wood grained and a marbleized fireplaces. The East parlour is wood grained in to resemble a light coloured wood while the West parlour features a darker wood grain.

Holy Trinity Lutheran Church

Catalogue info: Holy Trinity Church was built around 1900 to replace and older building. The frame structure is approximately 9.0x15.0m. Free-hand ceiling, chancel, circa 1940 by Mr. Gottschall and son. Oil on wood. Stencilled and marbleized walls, nave and chancel, circa 1940. Oil on plaster.

Masonic Lodge

Catalogue info: The building dates to 1874. Before it was acquired by the Charity Lodge in 1919 it was a factory producing oil clothes used by loca fishermen. The lodge added the entry porch. Murals (four) all walls, 1920-31 Canon Edward Alexander Harris (d. 1931), watercolour on plaster. The decorations were begun in 1920.

McIntosh Residence

Catalogue info: The house was built in 1903 for Captain Alexander Isaac Young (1857-1925) and his wife Henrietta Letitia. The house was owned by the Young family until 1985. Stencilled ceiling and free-hand mock fireboard in the left front room of the first floor, artist unknown, 1903. Oil on plaster.

Creery residence

Catalogue info: House built in 1899 for Charles Langille then passed to his son Russell (1903-1982).

Compass Rose Restaurant

This house was built in 1825 for a sea captain. In 1851 it was purchased by W.N. Zwicker and remained in the family until 1974. It then operated as an antique shop and a private home until 1983 when it was sold and became the Compass Rose Restaurant. Marbleized Arch, first floor, hallway, 1825, artist unknown, oil on wood.

St. John's Parish Hall

The original establishment, a five-bay, hipped roof structure with a central main door facing St. John's Church square, was built c. 1775 as the first Lunenburg Courthouse. By 1890, the Court House had become run down and the Chief Justice of the time declared he would not hold court unless the building was repaired.


Subscribe to RSS - Lunenburg County