Catalogue info: This house was built in 1796 by Elisha Calkin and has changed hands only twice (as of 1986). The home features stencilled and free-hand walls (oil on plaster c.1860). Then stencilling and striping simulates raised panelling, a successful attempt at 'trompe l’oeil' painting. Unfortunately, the painted surfaces have been over-papered.
Home has seven original wood grain painted doors: front door, two living room doors and four bedroom doors. The owner, Mrs. Jan Pottie, believes they were all painted in the early 1900's and certainly before 1920.