You are here
Freeman House (Sinclair Residence): This gothic revival home, complete with Mersey River pointed-arch windows and a steep gable, was constructed circa 1850.
Research shows that the builder and original owner of the home was more than likely Nathaniel Freeman (b. 1824 - d. 1904) a saw mill builder and son of Nathaniel and Lucy Freeman. The latter Nathaniel was a descendant of Elisha Freeman (b. 1725 - d. 1777) the original founder of Milton, NS. History dictates that the Freemans were English Separatists who came to North America (Massachusetts, USA) via the Mayflower in 1620.
By 1762 there were 3 sawmills in Milton, a small village which was then referred to as 'The Falls'. In 1855 The Liverpool Transcript referred to "the important and rapidly improving village of Milton or Mill-town" and noted its excellent dwellings in which "taste and elegance were visible ... demonstrating that the era of mere utility and money-making had given some place, wisely, to that of embellishment and of efforts towards the realization of the beautiful."
In 1860 a correspondent of the Liverpool Transcript observed "What cannot industry, enterprise and taste accomplish. Thanks be to the Freemans and a number of others". (South Shore Seasoned Timbers, Vol. 2). The 1850 gothic country home features a dining room with a painted 'trompe l’oeil' ceiling and accompanying crown mouldings. The dining room is further highlighted by a subtly marbleized mantel. In addition, most all of the doors in the home are wood grained. The artist remains unknown although it is speculated that he was an itinerant artist and craftsman. It is believed that the painted surfaces were completed some years after the construction of the home.
The Sinclairs wish to maintain the freedom to change and/or add on to the exterior of their home.